Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Northeast Times | September 22, 2021

Scroll to top

Top

23rd Annual Komen Greater Fort Worth Race for the Cure® To Be Held April 25

23rd Annual Komen Greater Fort Worth Race for the Cure® To Be Held April 25

Susan G. Komen Greater Fort Worth recently announced that the 23rd annual Race for the Cure will occur on Saturday, April 25 at Ridgmar Mall. The family-friendly event will feature a 5K and one mile fun run/walk, as well as a breast cancer survivor parade, Kids for the Cure® village, KoMen Cave and live entertainment. The goal of the Greater Fort Worth Race for the Cure is to raise funds for breast cancer research, screening, treatment and education for women and men battling breast cancer in the Komen Greater Fort Worth service area of Tarrant, Parker, Johnson and Hood counties.

There will be photo/interview opportunities with MaryAnn MeansMary-Dufrene, the executive director of Komen Greater Fort Worth, cancer survivors and race participants.

WHO: An estimated 7,000 Race for the Cure® participants including breast cancer survivors, their friends, families and Komen supporters.

WHAT: The Race for the Cure, presented by Kroger, is the largest charitable 5K Race in Tarrant County, and the largest fundraiser for Susan G. Komen ® Greater Fort Worth. With 5K and 1-Mile Run/Walk events, a Survivor Breakfast, KoMen Cave, and Kids for the Cure® Village, the Race for the Cure is a family-friendly event designed to promote positive awareness and education of breast cancer. As well as being a competitive race for runners and walkers, the Komen Race for the Cure is an emotionally charged event that attracts many first-time and multi-year participants. The Race will honor breast cancer survivors by hosting a survivor celebration parade following the Race.

New to the Race this year is a giveaway for a two-year lease on a 2015 Ford Mustang V6, donated by Charlie Gilchrist, owner and operator of SouthWest Auto Group for 28 years. Each individual or team member who registers to participate in the Race for the Cure, and raises at least $500 to their personal fundraising efforts, will be eligible to win the 2015 Ford Mustang V6. The car giveaway will happen at the Race.

Registration is open and can be completed at online at www.komengreaterfw.org, or in person at the Fort Worth Luke’s Locker location April 18-24, or the morning of the Race at Ridgmar Mall. Participants can choose to run, walk or even Sleep in for the Cure®. They can also fundraise or make a donation in celebration or memory of another participant or loved one.

75 percent of the funds raised through the Race supports breast cancer screenings, treatment and education locally in Tarrant, Parker, Johnson and Hood counties, with the remaining 25 percent going to national research to find the cures.

WHEN: Saturday, April 25, 2015
6:00 a.m. – 8:20 a.m. – Race Day Registration (at Expo)
7:30 a.m. – Survivor Photo
7:45 a.m. – Aerobic Warm Up
8:00 a.m. – 1 Mile Family Fun Run/Walk Start (start line at northeast side of Mall)
8:30 a.m. – 5K (competitive and non-competitive) Start (start line at northeast side of Mall)
9:45 a.m. –Awards Ceremony & Survivor Celebration at Main Stage

WHERE: Susan G. Komen Greater Fort Worth Race for the Cure®
Ridgmar Mall grounds (Expo area at the northeast corner of the Mall near Dillard’s)
1888 Green Oaks Road
Fort Worth, Texas 76116

WHY: Susan G. Komen® is the world’s largest breast cancer organization, funding more breast cancer research than any other nonprofit while providing real-time help to those facing the disease. Komen was founded by Nancy G. Brinker, who promised her sister, Susan G. Komen, that she would end the disease that claimed Suzy’s life. Komen Greater Fort Worth was chartered in July of 1992 by Rozanne Rosenthal, in honor of her close friend and three-time breast-cancer-survivor Joan Katz. The affiliate is working to better the lives of those facing breast cancer in the local community. Through events like the Komen Greater Fort Worth Race for the Cure®, Komen Greater Fort Worth has invested over $23 million in community breast health programs in Tarrant, Parker, Johnson, and Hood counties, and has helped contribute to the more than $800 million invested globally in research. For more information, call 817-735-8580 or visit komengreaterfortworth.org.