SBA DFW District Office announces 2015 Small Business Award Winners
The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) Dallas/Fort Worth District Office has named David F. Shutler, President & CEO of Utility Systems Solutions, Inc.(US2) in Dallas, Texas as the 2015 DFW District Small Business Person of the Year. As a result, Shulter advanced to the state competition and was selected as the 2015 Texas Small Business Person of the Year. Shulter, will now compete for the title of 2015 National Small Business Person of the Year, which will be announced next month during National Small Business Week in Washington, DC. US2 achieved tremendous growth in sales from 2011 to 2013. For 2011 sales were $4 million, in 2012 sales were $9 million and in 2013 sales were $13.6 million. US2 started with 8 employees and has grown to 25 employees.
Shutler, who is a retired Air Force Colonel, started US2 in 2005. Shulter has maintained his service to the government through the execution of more than 180 projects that US2 performed with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and other federal agencies. US2 provides energy-based solutions through start-to-finish building retrofits, turnkey construction, wireless monitoring, and efficient lighting projects.
Shutler along with other small business award winners will be recognized during the annual DFW Small Business Awards Luncheon at the Sheraton Hotel in Arlington on May 14th. The luncheon is in hosted by the Arlington Chamber of Commerce. For details on the luncheon, please call Ahmad Goree at 817-684-5539.
The honorees competed with others from across the 72 Texas counties that the DFW district office covers. Each winner will receive an award from Herbert Austin, DFW District Director and be addressed by Yolanda Olivarez, SBA Regional Administrator.
“ We’re honored to recognize these entrepreneurs and advocates for their outstanding work in business and in the community” said Herbert Austin.
The U.S. Small Business Administration’s National Small Business Week will be held May 4th to 8th, at which time the 2015 National Small Business Person of the Year will be announced.
The following are the DFW district winners:
- Small Business Person of the Year- Mr. David F. Shutler, President & CEO;Utility Systems Solutions, Inc.
- Minority Small Business Person of the Year- Ms. Grace D. McDermott, President U.S Pan Asian Chamber –SW
- Young Entrepreneur of the Year- Ms. Merrill Lynne Sweat Cain M. Lynne Designs
- Financial Services Champion of the Year- Ms. Helma R. Gentry, Sr. Eligibility Officer- JP Morgan Chase Bank
- Women Small Business Champion of the Year- Mrs. Shawn P. Dollar, President Sturm Welding Inc.
- Family-Owned Small Business of the Year- Mrs. Ann Popejoy, CEO CareTeam
- Veteran Small Business Champion of the Year- Mr. James M. Broussard, Business Advisor Tarrant County SBDC
- Entrepreneurial Success of the Year- Mr. Gene K. Ponder, CEO- Master Woodcraft Cabinetry, LLC
- SCORE Chapter of the Year- Mr. Mike Rose, President Dallas SCORE Chapter 22
- SBDC of the Year – Steve Surguy, Director McLennan SBDC