Adult English & Literacy Academy Receives Trailblazer Award
Irving ISD’s Adult English and Literacy Academy along with the program director, Delia Watley, received a special recognition from Workforce Solutions of Greater Dallas this week during the organizations board meeting. The initiative was awarded the “Trailblazer” award for its success in educating adults in the Irving community. Irving ISD’s Adult English and Literacy (AEL) Academy is a program that emphasizes basic skills such as reading, writing, math, English language competency and problem-solving. The program is supported by a Texas Workforce Commission grant provided by Workforce Solutions Greater Dallas.
The program’s success includes:
· 650 adults participated in the program
· 89% of the students are parents of children who attend Irving ISD; 10% percent are employees of the district; 1% are community members
· 7 students passed the citizenship test
· 10 students are taking the GED practice exam
· 4 students have been hired or promoted for a job