Irving: Construction Slated for Hawthorne, Abelia Streets
Construction is expected to begin this month on Hawthorne Street from the westbound frontage road of Irving Boulevard to West Pioneer Drive, and Abelia Street from North Rogers Road to Thompson Street.
The project, which is led by the Capital Improvement Program, Traffic and Transportation, and Water Utilities departments, is part of the City of Irving’s Road to the Future: $100 Million in 5 Years initiative.
During construction, crews will widen and replace the existing asphalt roads with 31-foot reinforced concrete residential streets. Additionally, 6-foot-wide sidewalks will be added to each side of the streets.
Crews also will replace aging infrastructure by installing upgraded water mains, wastewater mains and storm water pipeline. Several inlets will be added to improve drainage in the area. While utility lines will remain parallel to Hawthorne and Abelia, crews will remove overhead, street-crossing utility lines and place them underground.
The road construction project also will include brick paved crosswalks at Rogers Road and Abelia Street, as well as at Hawthorne Street and West Pioneer Drive.
In October, the City of Irving held a public meeting to inform neighborhood residents about the project and address any questions or concerns. The upgrades will enhance drivability along the roadway, as well as provide safe transportation options for families and children with the addition of the sidewalks. Completion of the nearly $3 million project is expected for April 2020, weather permitting.
UPCOMING “ROAD TO THE FUTURE” CONSTRUCTION
Residents across Irving likely will see orange traffic cones throughout 2019, as crews move forward with the city’s Road to the Future: $100 Million in 5 Years initiative. The program, which launched in 2017, supports road construction and rehabilitation across the city.
The following are slated throughout 2019:
- Las Colinas Boulevard phase three, from the south end of the retail area (Brazos Drive) to Lake Carolyn Parkway.
- Glenmore and Shepherd streets are currently in design and are estimated to begin construction in 2019.
- Nursery Road, south of East Oakdale Road to East Hunter Ferrell Road, is estimated to begin construction in 2019.
- Hard Rock Road, from the eastbound frontage road of State Highway 183 to south of West Pioneer Drive, and West Pioneer Drive from Esters Road to Hard Rock Road, is estimated to begin construction in 2019.
- Cedar Drive, from West Pioneer Drive heading north. The project will include the installation of a new concrete roadway with curb and gutter additions, as well as drainage and a cul-de-sac on the north end of the street. Cedar currently is an asphalt dead-end street.
- Drayton Court.