Northwest Community Park scores a home run with new athletic fields
The second phase of Northwest Community Park’s master plan development will be dedicated at 10 a.m. Saturday, March 30, with a day of fun and baseball at the park’s new athletic fields, 8575 Blue Mound Road.
As stated in the city’s Park, Recreation and Open Space Master Plan, these fields fulfill a need for athletic facilities in Park Planning District 5, which has had the highest population growth in recent years.
New features at the facility include:
- Two youth baseball fields, complete with lighting, irrigation, fencing, dugout benches, scoreboards and bleachers.
- One adult baseball field, complete with lighting, irrigation, fencing, dugout benches, scoreboards and bleachers.
- One softball field, complete with lighting, irrigation, fencing, dugout benches, scoreboards and bleachers.
- Two T-ball field backstops and dugouts.
- One multipurpose practice field.
- Sidewalks, a trail, and picnic tables.
- A restroom/concession building that is currently under construction, which is partially funded through contributions from the Fossil Creek Little League. This building will be installed later this spring.
This second phase of Northwest Community Park was designed by The Landscape Alliance and built by Cole Construction Inc.
The total project budget was $4,365,000. Funding sources for this project include $3,250,000 from the 2014 Bond Program, $1 million from a Texas Parks and Wildlife Urban Outdoor Recreation Grant, $65,000 from Fossil Creek Little League and $50,000 from the Park & Recreation Department’s General Capital Projects Fund.