Irving: Free Mustang Mulch During April
In celebration of Earth Day, Solid Waste Services is offering free mulch to Irving residents during the month of April. Mulch will be available at the Hunter Ferrell Landfill Scalehouse and Administration Complex, 110 E. Hunter Ferrell Road, during the following times: 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Wednesdays, 8 a.m. to noon on Saturdays, and noon to 4 p.m. on Sundays.
This mulch is created from the brush collected curbside. Solid Waste Services will load loose mulch into a pickup truck bed or onto a trailer. Residents hauling loose mulch should consider bringing a tarp to cover the mulch. Residents also can bring a portable container to load themselves. A limited amount of bagged mulch will be available.
BENEFITS OF MULCH
- Prevents soil compaction and erosion.
- Suppresses weeds.
- Captures and retains soil moisture.
- Protects roots from the sun’s heat.
- Protects plant crowns from winter cold.
- Protects and stimulates microbial activity in the soil.
- Adds nutrients to the soil as the mulch breaks down.
For more information and mulching guidelines, visit CityofIrving.org/582.