Hurst Employment Oppurtunity
Application> Parks Crewleader – Botanical
Department: Community Services
Job Type: Full Time
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Salary/Pay Rate: $17.58/hour + cell phone reimbursement
Job Number: 72-20-04
Under direction of the Parks Manager, employee performs duties relating to the general custodial and maintenance installation and upkeep of landscaped areas of parks, medians/ROW’s, and city facilities. This is a full-time, non-exempt position working approximately 40 hours/week. Must be available to work evenings and weekends as assigned for maintenance and special events. Position may require overtime.
1. Possesses excellent customer service skills and can excel at applying the City of Hurst’s Code of Ideals and Good to Great practices in all interpersonal relationships with city staff and the public.
2. Leads, supervises and assists crew members in daily work duties. Coordinate and assign daily work duties to staff as needed or in absence of manager. Schedules weekend maintenance as needed.
3. Verify high quality work is completed for every task and provide constructive feedback when changes or enhancements need to be made.
4. Plant and cultivate landscape (trees, flowers, shrubs, etc.) for installation at city parks, medians/ROW’s, and city facilities.
5. Perform moderately complex landscape maintenance and repair work on a schedule without direct supervision, such as trimming trees, removing brush and dead plant material, replanting of seasonal color beds, etc. Dispose of refuse in an approved manner.
6. Pick up litter from grounds and empty trash containers in assigned areas; perform janitorial as needed.
7. Under direction: assist with irrigation installation and repair; install and repair water fountains.
8. Applies insecticides, herbicides, and fertilizer throughout the City.
9. Operates general park equipment such as trenchers, backhoes, sod cutters, aerators, backpack blower, rollers, spray rigs, skid loaders, pressure washers, chain saws, pole saws, stump grinders, tractors, trucks, and a variety of hand tools.
10. Cleans, maintains, operates, and inspects specialized and heavy equipment required in the upkeep and operation of the areas of responsibility. Cleans and maintains equipment and tools.
11. Documents and reports estimated damage to parks and facilities; participate in emergency response and clean-up.
12. Coordinates special projects involving construction, maintenance or other areas related to park maintenance; works with assigned crews to assure proper workmanship and materials are used.
13. Takes initiative to find and solve problems without specific direction from manager.
14. Complete necessary paperwork and reports. Provide input regarding hiring and disciplinary actions.
15. As part of a rotation, provides on-call services for the City.
16. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Working knowledge of landscape materials including plant materials, soil amendments, irrigation, fertilizers and pesticides.
2. Knowledge of irrigation installation and repair. Working knowledge of water fountains, the internal components, and basic troubleshooting and repair.
3. Knowledge of small engines, basic carpentry, plumbing, painting, basic gardening, landscape techniques and related safety procedures.
4. Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
5. Ability to follow established safety procedures.
6. Ability to work and communicate effectively orally and in writing with City personnel and the public.
7. Ability to perform fertilizer and chemical applications in a safe and effective manner.
1. Ability to perform strenuous physical activity, including pushing, pulling, bending, stooping, reaching, lifting, twisting, standing, and walking, for extended periods of time in adverse conditions, including extreme heat, cold, moisture, dust, and fumes, at various heights, and in confined spaces.
2. Majority of work is performed outdoors and is subject to extreme heat and sun or inclement weather.
3. Fine dexterity with fingers and hands required to handle items and to operate equipment.
4. Ability see clearly and distinguish colors when working with chemicals.
5. Moderate to heavy lifting and carrying, up to 80 pounds.
6. Ability to orally direct guests and staff in emergency and non-emergency situations.
7. Work may be subject to time pressures, frequent changes to tasks, working closely with others as part of a team, performing multiple tasks simultaneously, and dealing with difficult persons.
High school diploma or equivalent required. One year of experience in grounds maintenance required; three years preferred. Experience coordinating and directing the work of others preferred. Ability to obtain a chemical applicators license within six months of hiring. A valid Texas Class C driver’s license and a good driving record are required. Candidate must have a personal electronic device capable of making and receiving phone calls, and sending and receiving text messages. The City incorporates into the hourly rate, a reimbursement for the business usage of the personal electronic device.
Applications accepted until the position is filled.
City of Hurst is an Equal Opportunity Employer.