The Watauga Public Library has received the 2019 Achievement of Library Excellence Award from the Texas Municipal Library Director’s Association (TMLDA.) TMLDA is an affiliate of the Texas Municipal League. Each year TMLDA confers awards for outstanding contributions to public libraries.
To successfully receive the Achievement of Library Excellence Award, the applicant must exhibit excellence in each of ten categories:
- Services to underserved populations either through outreach, special programs, collaborations with other libraries or organizations, special classes, special collections, etc.
- Enhanced service to the public during the past year either through increase in service or a change in type of services
- Innovative and effective current marketing materials highlighting basic services and publicity about specific programs the library offers
- Cultural, topical, and educational programming for adults and families
- Literacy support for all ages
- Summer reading club
- Collaborative efforts with community organizations
- Workforce development support
- Digital inclusion support by providing public internet access, digital literacy training, and offering library services online
- Professional staff training to include training opportunities for staff at all levels
According to the Texas State Library and Archives Commission, 550 public libraries exist in Texas. Of those libraries, only 53 received this award in 2019.