Texas Oil and Natural Gas Industry Launches Coalition to Develop Industry-Led Solutions to Minimize Flaring and Methane Emissions
AUSTIN—An alliance of Texas oil and natural gas trade associations, along with nearly 40 Texas energy companies, today announced they have formed a coalition to work together on environmental progress. Focused on industry-led solutions to minimize flaring and methane emissions, the Texas Methane and Flaring Coalition (the Coalition) will collectively identify and promote operational and environmental recommended practices.
While the Texas oil and natural gas industry is a global leader in the responsible production of energy that has powered life for more than a century, the industry is always proactively innovating. To that end, Texas operators are committed to improving environmental performance.
The Coalition will evaluate existing data and evidence on flaring and methane emissions from the industry in Texas and develop opportunities and recommendations to continue to minimize these practices. Specifically, the Coalition’s objectives are to:
- Develop recommendations that will improve data quality for accuracy and consistency in reporting vented and flared volumes.
- Define why and when flaring is necessary and communicate the environmental and safety reasons that may necessitate flaring.
- Identify, assess, and recommend opportunities and best practices to minimize methane emissions and flaring.
- Evaluate existing studies and summarize findings.
Coalition members have developed a website with resources and information for stakeholders, legislators and regulators, and the general public who are seeking to gain a better understanding of these issues. The website will be updated frequently as the Coalition develops and implements its objectives, findings and recommendations.
The vast majority of Coalition members are participating in other initiatives to improve environmental performance, including The Environmental Partnership, The Oil & Gas Methane Partnership, the New Mexico Oil & Gas Association Methane Mitigation Roadmap, among others, demonstrating the industry and individual companies’ commitment to advancing solutions to environmental concerns.
Members of the Coalition include:
- The Panhandle Producers & Royalty Owners Association (PPROA)
- The Permian Basin Petroleum Association (PBPA)
- The South Texas Energy & Economic Roundtable (STEER)
- The Texas Alliance of Energy Producers (The Texas Alliance)
- The Texas Independent Producers & Royalty Owners Association (TIPRO)
- The Texas Oil & Gas Association (TXOGA)
- The Texas Pipeline Association (TPA)
- Nearly 40 Texas oil and natural gas companies