NISD to Host EdCamp
Northwest ISD will host EdCamp, a form of unconference designed specifically for teachers and their needs. Unlike traditional conferences, which have schedules set months in advance by the people running the conference, EdCamp has an agenda that’s created by the participants at the start of the event. Instead of one person standing in front of the room talking for an hour, people are encouraged to have discussions and hands-on sessions. People could pay hundreds of dollars to attend another conference, or they could go to EdCamp for free.
• Non-commercial and conducted with a vendor-free presence
• Hosted by any organization interested in furthering the EdCamp mission
• Made up of sessions that are determined on the day of the event
• Events where anyone who attends can be a presenter
• Reliant on the “law of two feet” that encourages participants to find a session that meets their needs
NISD’s EdCamp will be held Saturday, January 17 at James M. Steele Accelerated High School (606 North Walnut Street, Ronaoke, 76262) from 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Volunteers Needed for NISD’s Annual Northwest Reads
The Northwest ISD Partners in Education program is seeking volunteers for the seventh annual Northwest Reads on Thursday, January 22 from 9 to 10 a.m. Participants will choose from a variety of books to read to pre-kindergarten through fifth-grade students at one of the school district’s 17 elementary schools. This event provides community members with an opportunity to inspire young NISD students to become lifelong readers. For more information, call 817-215-0172.