Timber Creek’s Rachel Bridges Wins State Wrestling Title
Timber Creek High School wrestler Rachel Bridges won the championship in the girls 215-pound division of the UIL Class 6A State Wrestling Championships on February 21 in Austin.
Bridges stormed through the competition bracket, starting with a fall in just 29 seconds in her opening match. Two more wins had her facing Houston Cypress Ridge’s Paige Baynes in the championship match. Bridges came away with a 4-1 decision to earn a state title for Timber Creek.
Her success was the icing on top of another great season for Keller ISD’s wrestlers.
On the boys side, Fossil Ridge’s Keith McGee stood out among KISD wrestlers, finishing 2nd in the 220-pound division. McGee lost a 5-1 decision to Klein High School’s Aaron Clayton in the championship match. After an opening-round win in the 120-pound division, Central High’s Blake Martinez lost to eventual runner-up Noah Martinez of Leader Rouse and found himself in the consolation bracket. However, the Charger fought his way to the 3rd place match. There he meet Timber Creek’s Jamie Paterson who had advanced to the semifinals in the championship bracket before also losing to Noah Martinez. CHS’s Blake Martinez prevailed over Paterson with a fall in 1:15 to take 3rd place in the tournament.
Central’;s Jake Hart shared Paterson’s fate, finishing in 4th in the 113-pound division. Hart won his opening-round match before falling into the consolation bracket. He rebounded, however, to win three-straight matches and earn a place in the 3rd place championship where he fell to Austin Westlake’s Jack Skularczyk.
Additional Keller ISD wrestling performances at the 6A State Meet included:
– DeMone McClinton (126, CHS) – Lost to eventual 3rd-place finisher Batta Douglas of Flower Mound in the consolation bracket (3-2 overall in the tournament)
– Matthew Kearney (138, KHS) – Lost in consolation bracket to Seth Villasana of Lake Highlands (1-2 overall).
– Travis McDonald (160, KHS) – Lost in consolation bracket to Westlake’s Travis Braithwaite (1-2 overall).
– Bobby Reynolds (285, KHS) – Lost in consolation bracket to Killeen’s KJ Harris (2-2 overall).
– Jael Miller (Girls 138, TCHS) – Lost in consolation bracket to Grand Prairie’s Shanice Jackson (1-2 overall).: