GCISD Named Region 11 Outstanding School Board
The Grapevine-Colleyville ISD board of trustees was selected as the 2018 Region 11 Outstanding School Board by a panel of school superintendents on July 13, 2018. In a sweep of the region’s executive-level educational awards programs, GCISD Superintendent Dr. Robin Ryan also received top honors when he was named the Region 11 Superintendent of the Year last month.
The school board award, sponsored by the Texas Association of School Administrators (TASA), was created in 1971 to recognize those school boards that have demonstrated outstanding dedication and have rendered ethical service to the children of Texas. The criteria emphasize evidence of support for the improvement of educational performance.
The application process involves creating a booklet of information and documentation that address the following topics related to board activities:
• Functions as a policy-making body
• Adherence to adopted board policies
• Support for educational performance in accordance with state-established standards
• Support for educational improvement projects and school transformation initiatives
• Commitment to a code of ethics
• Provision of financial support for the school system
• Participation in workshops and other performance improvement programs
• Placement of the welfare of children served by the school system above personal or political motives
• Public relations efforts, including community awareness
• Maintenance of harmonious and supportive relationships among board members
GCISD’s application has been forwarded to TASA in Austin to be considered for the state award. The TASA selection committee will review all 20 regional entries and announce five finalists on August 10. These finalists, designated as “Honor Boards,” will then be interviewed by the state selection committee and the state winner will be named the “Texas Outstanding School Board” for 2018. All five boards will be recognized at the TASA/TASB Convention on September 29, 2018.
Any Texas superintendent who is a member of TASA and has been serving as the district
superintendent since July 1, 2016, may nominate his or her school board for this prestigious award. Other school boards in Region 11 that were nominated for this year’s award include Aubrey ISD and Cleburne ISD.