Saginaw, Texas City Council, City Charter and Street Maintenance Sales Tax Election Information
CITY CHARTER ELECTION
On February 5, 2019 the Saginaw City Council approved Ordinance No. 2019-02, Calling a Special Election to be held on May 4, 2019 for the purposes of submitting to the voters multiple propositions to amend the Saginaw Home Rule Charter. The City’s Charter has not been changed since it was adopted in 1988. Any change to the Charter requires voter approval.
For more detailed City Charter information, check out: http://saginawtx.org/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=658
CITY COUNCIL ELECTION
On February 5, 2019, the City Council called a General Election for Saturday, May 4, 2019. The Council positions up for election are: Council Member Place 1, Council Member Place 3, and Council Member Place 5. All positions are three year terms. All positions are elected at-large and can be held by any qualified candidate. Qualifications are posted on the City’s website on the Election page.
Below are the candidates in the order they will appear on the ballot.
- Shawn Morrison
- Charles E. Beasley
- Gregory Gerami
- Valerie Tankersley
- Christie Noone
- Cindy Bighorse
STREET MAINTENANCE SALES TAX
Saginaw voters approved the Street Maintenance Sales Tax in May 2007 and reauthorized it in 2011 and 2015.
The City of Saginaw Capital Improvement Program annually identifies streets for repair or reconstruction based on their condition. The sales tax currently generates approximately $400,000 per year. This allows the City to repair some of these streets each year on a “pay as you go” basis.
- Individuals shopping in Saginaw now pay a total of 8.25% sales tax on certain retail sales.
- The State collects 6.25%; the City collects 2.0%
- Of the City’s 2.0%, currently one (1) cent goes into the City’s General Fund, 1/8 cent goes to the Street Maintenance Fund, 3/8 cent is dedicated to the Crime Control and Prevention District, and 1/2 cent is dedicated to the reduction of property taxes.
Early Voting will be held April 22-30, 2019. The times and locations are listed below.
- April 22 – April 26 (Monday-Friday) 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- April 27 (Saturday) 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- April 28 (Sunday) 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- April 29-30 (Monday & Tuesday) 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Early voting in Saginaw will be held at the Eagle Mountain-Saginaw I.S.D. Administration Complex, 1200 Old Decatur Road, Building 6-Training Room. Since we are contracting with Tarrant County, there will also be other locations throughout Tarrant County. A complete list of early voting locations is available atwww.tarrantcounty.com/elections.
ELECTION DAY VOTING INFORMATION
Election Day is May 4, 2019. The times and locations are listed below.
- Saturday, May 4, 2019, 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Voting locations on Election Day, May 4th, will be at the Saginaw Senior Center, 405 South Belmont Dr.
For more detailed City Council, City Charter and Street Maintenance Sales Tax Election information, check out www.SaginawTx.org.