Fort Worth: Historic Bunche Park is now officially open
Dignitaries and neighborhood representatives cut the ribbon to officially open Ralph J. Bunche Park on June 6 after the District 5 park received a series of capital improvements including trails, a group shelter, benches and picnic tables.
Funding for the improvements came from a $500,000 Community Development Block Grant and $40,516 from the 2004 Bond Program.
Located at 5600 Ramey Ave., Bunche Park was developed in the early 1950s when Fort Worth’s neighborhoods and parks were segregated by race. The land was originally acquired by the city to serve the area south of Carver Heights, a suburb where many of Fort Worth’s upwardly mobile African American residents lived.
At the suggestion of the Rosedale Park Civic League, the park board named the park after Ralph Bunche in May 1954. Bunche was the first African American to be a division head in the U.S. State Department, and was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1950 for his work as the principal secretary of the United Nations Palestine Commission.