Mayor for a Day 2019-2020
If you were elected mayor of Colleyville, what would you do?
Mayor Richard Newton is giving Colleyville residents in grades 2-7 the opportunity to speak their minds during the 2019-2020 Mayor for a Day Contest. The winner will serve as an honorary mayor on one of the City Council meeting dates in February. He or she will spend part of the day meeting with city leaders and touring city facilities. That evening, he or she will attend the City Council work session to review city business and co-preside over the City Council meeting that follows. During the Executive Session portion of the meeting, the Mayor for a Day will have a pizza party with up to 10 friends. (The Mayor for a Day winner’s schedule will be subject to approval by his/her parents and school.)
How to Participate
Contestants must submit a 1 to 2-page essay about what you would do if you were elected mayor of Colleyville. The winning essay will be posted on the city’s website.
Write your essay in any form or style that is comfortable for you and that you feel best expresses your opinions.
- Your essay must be at least one page in length and no more than two pages.
- Your entry must have your name, grade, address, and parents’ phone number included at the top of the essay in order to be entered into the Mayor for a Day Contest. No other identifying information should be included in the essay, as all personal information will be redacted prior to review by the committee of judges.
- The essays are due by January 10. Essays received after this date will not be considered.
- The contest is only open to Colleyville residents.
- The winning essay will be announced by Jan 17.
- Essays may be dropped off at the City Manager’s Office on the third floor of City Hall or sent by mail or email to:
Mayor for a Day Contest
Colleyville City Hall
100 Main Street
Colleyville, Texas 76034