Hurst Employment Opportunity – Part Time GIS/Engineering Intern
Department: Public Works
Job Type: Part-Time, TMRS Eligible
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Salary/Pay Rate: $13.00/hour
Job Number: 63-19-67
This position will gain valuable time credits necessary for engineering licensure. This part-time position involves extensive contact with the public.
1. REPORTS to the City Engineer and provides support to Engineering and Community Development staff.
2. PERFORMS elementary design computations including quantity takeoffs, and creating, entering, and analyzing data for engineering reports and other special reports.
3. ASSISTS with the preparation of plans and specifications.
4. ASSISTS the GIS staff with developing and maintaining data.
5. USES AutoCad for simple drafting assignments.
6. PERFORMS simple hydrologic and/or hydraulic analysis using HEC-HMS and HEC-RAS software-based programs.
7. PERFORM field data collection and provides general and technical support for staff as necessary.
8. ASSIST construction inspectors in the field with public works construction projects as directed.
9. PARTICIPATES on a special city or regional committees, as needed.
10. PERFORMS special assignments as assigned by City Engineer.
11. ARRIVES at work on time and WORKS assigned schedule.
12. ABILITY to work as a positive team member and in accordance with the city’s Code of Ideals.
13. PERFORMS other duties as assigned.
1. Ability to work as a positive team member and in accordance with the City’s Code of Ideals.
2. Skills in the use of a calculator, PC, spreadsheets, Access, and Word.
3. Ability to follow oral and written instructions to complete assignments.
4. Ability to work and communicate effectively with the public and City personnel.
5. Ability to compile and maintain accurate records.
6. Ability to read and understand technical material related to engineering principals.
7. Ability to sit for extended periods of time and operate equipment such as computers, printers, and telephone.
8. Basic knowledge of engineering principals and fundamental theory a plus.
Current enrollment in an undergraduate degree programs in engineering, mathematics, computer science, geography, geographic information systems, or geology and a valid Texas driver’s license with an acceptable driving record required.
Applications accepted until the position is filled.
The city of Hurst is an Equal Opportunity Employer.